Sunday, June 25, 2023

Blog 1

 


Blog 1 and Weekly Reading List

    I first began reading to my children when they were in the womb. Our days were consumed with reading at nap and bed time, or whenever they wanted to read. We would go to library story hours and bring home huge shopping bags of books, weekly. I had picked up the importance of reading to my children from family relatives that were also educators. The readings this week substantiated my strong convictions that children must be told stories and read to at a young age. 




Pictures of my children during an outside reading session in 2020


   I related to the articles regarding story hours held at local libraries because I witnessed my own children’s development, socially, verbally, and cognitively at these events. Bamkin et al. (2013) found that children experience a peak in their imagination, learning and participation when listening to stories (pp. 63 - 64). Through story telling at libraries, children are encouraged to ask questions about the story, often the storyteller will pause to ask children about their predictions of what will happen next (Bamkin et. al, 2013, p. 72). Furthermore, through story-telling, children learn vocabulary and the inference words (Lwin, 2016, p. 80). The library story hours model positive reading behaviors for caregivers, like dialogic reading, and encourages more reading to children in the home (Albright et al., 2009, p. 15). Librarians can demonstrate through story hours the skills that children receive through read alouds, like phonological and print awareness (Albright et al., 2009, p. 15). 


This is a picture of my son, Anthony and I, participating in a storyhour at our library in Southampton, MA. It was featured in the local paper.

    The readings for the week also guided me on how to be a successful story teller. Underdown – Dubois (2011) encourages the story teller to be expressive and use your body. The storyteller should feel like they are comfortable with the ages of the group and the group size (Underdown – Dubois, 2011). Greene and Del Negro (2010, p. 59) stress the need for the storyteller to be comfortable with the story and most of all to enjoy the story that you are telling (p. 59). “The storyteller must take the story from the printed page and blow the breath of life into it,” (Greene & Del Negro, 2010, p. 59). I found these tips to be informational with my own storytelling. In addition, much of the research focused on the selection of stories, especially in regards to the ages of the listeners. 

    Greene and Del Negro (2010, pp. 62 – 63) point out the different stories that children of varying ages enjoy listening to. I would argue that students ages five to six, in kindergarten, enjoy learning facts about non-fiction topics. In my kindergarten classroom, I assisted with a unit about researching polar animals. I conducted a read aloud with pictures about polar bears and almost all of the students in class, approximately 20, sat attentive and eager to learn. The non-fiction unit sparked questions from the students and more in-depth engagement. Greene and Del Negro (2010, p. 62), highlighted that these readers, aged five, six, and seven, enjoy traditional fairy tales and folktales. However, I have found through my own personal experiences that the non-fiction genre should be included with this age group. In addition, Greene and Del Negro (2010, p.63) discuss nine – eleven year old children preferring more sophisticated folktales. I would also argue that this age group enjoys historical fiction that allows them to fantasize about historical events. I have found that both of my boys, ages eleven and fourteen, have an affinity for historical fiction and learning about historical events. 

     As I read the assigned readings about fables, I contemplated when and where I was as a child when I first heard fables. I read The Brothers Grimm’s fable, Tom Thumb, which is a common name and term that one may hear, but I could not remember if I had ever heard the original fable. The fable was relatively new to me and I did not remember the intricacies. I reflected on a reference that I made to a kindergarten student this school year about tattling. I told the student that I could not take them seriously when they always told me all the minor inconveniences that another child infringed upon them. And I used the term “the boy who cried wolf.” The student stared at me perplexed and did not get my reference. So, I attempted to tell them the story, which still the student could not relate to. Storytelling helps perpetuate the morals and culture of our society (Greene & Del Negro, 2010, p. 47). Linning (2022), expands upon this further with the extension of our fables and folklores from around the world, which helps lay a strong framework for appreciating literature (p. 13).

     I have not engaged in much formal storytelling; my experience is mostly with read alouds. Through the research this week, I have garnered a deeper appreciation for storytelling and I am beginning to think of ways to incorporate the theories presented in my kindergarten assistant role. I enjoyed reading how the children listening to stories entered into a “trance like state,” as described by Bamkin et al. (2013). I presume that the children can merely focus on the words of the story teller and draw their own imaginations and conclusions of the story without pictorial accompaniments. In addition, I know from experience, that I may fumble with pages or trip over words when reading from a book. Learning and memorizing a story would prevent some of these discrepancies that take away from the fluency of a story.  I am going to leave this video here for your pleasure; it is a Ted Talk by Josh Campbell.  Campbell discusses how you can apply storytelling in your everyday life.  



 References 

Albright, M., Delecki, K., & Hinkle, S. (2009). The evolution of early literacy. A history of best practices in story times. Children and Libraries, 13–18. https://doi.org/10.5860/cal 

Bamkin, M., Goulding, A., & Maynard, S. (2013). The children sat and listened: Storytelling on children’s mobile libraries. New Review of Children’s Literature and Librarianship, 19(1), 47–78.  https://doi.org/10.1080/13614541.2013.755023 

Greene, E., & Del Negro, J. M. (2010). Storytelling: Art and technique (4th ed.). Libraries Unlimited. 

Linning, L. (2002). Telling traditional tales: Some thoughts and experiences. Orana, 13 – 19. 

Lwin, S. M. (2016). It’s story time!: Exploring the potential of multimodality in oral storytelling to support children’s vocabulary learning. Literacy, 50(2), 72–82. https://doi.org/10.1111/lit.12075 

Underdown - DuBois, C. (2011). Bringing storytime alive with acting and storytelling techniques: An interactive article. Tennessee Libraries. https://www.tnla.org/page/426


Reading List

Picture Books

  • The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Musch 
  • Imogene's Antlers by David Small
  • Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester
  • One Cool Friend by Toni Buzzeo  
  • Piggie Pie by Margie Palitini 

Fables

  • Tom Thumb by The Brothers Grimm
  • The Shepherd Who Cried Wolf by Aesop
  • The Frog and the Ox by Aesop
  • The Magic Boots by Hans Christian Anderson
  • The Cat and the Mouse by Aesop
  • Hans in Luck by The Brothers Grimm

Fairy Tales

  • Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving 
  • The Three Little Pigs by Joseph Jacobs
  • Rumpelstiltskin by The Brothers Grimm
  • The Princess and the Pea by Hans Christian Anderson
  • The Emperor's New Clothes by Hans Christian Anderson
  • The Elves and the Shoemaker by The Brothers Grimm
  • Snow White by The Brothers Grimm

2 comments:

  1. I loved this blog post! I love that you brought in your personal connection to the power of story time with your own children. I also marked the idea of a trance like state for children when they are in a story time and it made me think of when I was little and sitting in the library listening to the librarian read books to us and how I felt transformed to a different space. A great blog post, and I loved the video you provided at the end as well, it was a good watch, and very helpful when thinking about how to be a great storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica,

    This was a very enjoyable post to read. You did a great job relating the textbook and various articles to your personal experience. The impact that storytelling has on children is undeniable and it was a facet of these particular genres of stories that I also found both important and exciting. Their ability to boost critical thinking, communication, creativity, and collaboration shows just how important it is for this to be a part of a child's education curriculum.

    Your story about the child not recognizing the fable of the boy who cried wolf also demonstrates other important facets of storytelling. They do impart wisdom and moral lessons in addition to the other previously mentioned benefits. It is also important to keep telling them because it is how we keep the stories alive. It makes me feel my age and also appreciate how things change because I can remember being told that story as a child. It reaffirms everything I have always believed about the importance of stories. Great job!

    -John Fowler

    ReplyDelete

Information Literacy and Student Learning  My personal daily information diet consists of news sources, social media and job related updates...