Friday, June 30, 2023

Tracy_J_Storytelling Reflections Post 2

 

Storytelling Experience #1

Introduction

    For my first storytelling experience, I contemplated a book that I was familiar with and enjoyed. Greene and Del Negro (2010) stress the importance of selecting a book that the storyteller will enjoy telling and not only teaching (p. 60 – 61). I am most familiar with the kindergarten ages, so I wanted my book to be appropriate for four – to - six year olds. In addition, I am most comfortable reading picture books because I have been doing it for fourteen years with my own children.

Selection

     I finally chose the book The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch. This is a story that I have read many times to my own children and also kindergarten students. I have a comfort with this book and am passionate about the story. I enjoy how Elizabeth, the princess, solves the problem and rescues the prince. Then at the end, the prince feels that she is not a picturesque princess and she replies “Ronald, you are a bum.” I find the storyline inspiring for young children, especially young girls, to realize that you don’t have to always fall for the prince, like traditional fairy tales. Elizabeth is an inspiring and smart heroine. 




Setting

    After I settled on the book and practiced, I had to find a place in my home that was appropriate for the reading. This was not an easy feat with three children and a dog, plus an extra dog because I was dog sitting! I first started reading on my back porch, which was delightful. Then a neighbor started yard work, and proved to be very distracting. I settled down in my kitchen which provided good lighting, but had to instruct my family members NOT to enter the kitchen. I enjoyed how some classmates were able to utilize actual children’s library settings or studies. I am going to work on a more soothing atmosphere for my next storytelling experience. 

Recording

    I found it very helpful and informative to record the storytelling experience. I really dislike listening to myself, don’t we all? The recording assisted me with holding my book at a better angle and displaying the pictures for a longer time so that the audience could see them. Also, the recording helped me with slowing down my speech. For my next storytelling experience, I am going to work on a more pleasant, soothing voice (Greene and Del Negro, 2010, p. 96). Watching myself in the recording allowed me to add movements to the story telling. I did not realize that I needed to switch the FlipGrid settings to mirror view for the viewers. 

Conclusion

     I am proud of my finished product; this was the very first time that I have recorded myself with reading a story. I have a few areas that I would like to tweak. Choosing a more comfortable setting is the first area. I would like to work on my voice and make it more low-pitched for listeners. In addition, I want to tweak some of the features on FlipGrid to make my presentation appear more user friendly. 

    Upon further research of The Paper Bag Princess, I found an article discussing that the rights have been sold to make a movie of the book.  The film will be produced and directed by Elizabeth Banks.  It appears that Princess Elizabeth will be empowering young girls all over the world with her spunky and smart attitude.  



    Also, I wanted to include a reading by Dina Sherman that I found very enjoyable. 



 References 

Greene, E., & Del Negro, J. M. (2010). Storytelling: Art and technique (4th ed.). Libraries Unlimited. 

Munsch, R. (1980). The paper bag princess. Annick Press. 

This week’s readings

Legends

  • Robin Hood retold by David Calcutt 
  • The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush by Tomie dePaula
  • Paul Bunyan and the Big Blue Ox, Babe by W.B. Laughead 
  • Johnny Appleseed by William D’Arcy Haley 
  • Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore
  • John Henry An American Legend by Ezra Jack Keats 

Folktales 

  • Little Red Riding Hood by Charles Perrault 
  • Little Red-Cap by The Brothers Grimm 
  • The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Anderson 
  • The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson 
  • The Mitten by Jan Brett 
  • Puss in Boots by Charles Perrault 
  • The Secret of the Stones retold by Robert D. San Souci

2 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    Thank you for your super in depth reflection of your reading. I think I need to go a little more in depth after mine! I agree with what you pulled from the reading, if you do not enjoy the title, it will be more difficult to engage your viewers. I have never read this book and will be adding it to my future reading list. I loved that you found a link to it becoming a feature film as I love book adaptations! I read Scythe for another class and it also is "supposed" to be adapted, hopefully soon! I also noticed you read The Mitten! Great book with beautiful illustrations! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy,
    I'm so excited to hear that "Paper Bag Princess" will be made into a movie. What fun it will be to watch. I believe we all have our natural voice, mom voice, teacher voice, and storyteller voice. You will find yours, I have no doubt. It made me laugh when I saw your comment about voice pitch because my kids always tell me I have a sweet voice with the babies at storytime but they get my mom voice. At storytime I have to remind myself to go back to my natural voice at the end when the parents are chatting with me. So many great read alouds are on Youtube. I have certainly utilized watching them to help me decide on whether or not I want to use a certain book for my storytimes, or which words to emphasize, and what a good pace would be. Great job on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Information Literacy and Student Learning  My personal daily information diet consists of news sources, social media and job related updates...